I haven’t checked my dmesg in awhile and when I did, I was shocked to see it flood with ATA errors.  The errors look similar to:

[  +0.000001] ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
[  +0.000003] ata1: hard resetting link
[  +0.719684] ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 320)
[  +0.000465] ata1.00: unexpected _GTF length (8)
[  +0.000546] ata1.00: unexpected _GTF length (8)
[  +0.000073] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
[  +0.000110] ata1: EH complete
[  +4.384538] ata1.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x80000 SErr 0x4040000 action 0xe frozen
[  +0.000004] ata1.00: irq_stat 0x80000040, connection status changed

Keep in mind that I had turned off NCQ by putting libata.force=1:noncq in grub as per user Yesbabyyes on the arch forums.  Upon careful reading of the dmesg errors I saw that the SATA link was connecting at 6.0 Gbps to 3.0 Gbps to 1.5 Gbps.  So I tried manually setting the link speed to 1.5 Gbps by default with libata.force=1:1.5G,noncq but this didn’t resolve the issue.  I googled around and read countless documents with search terms of “ata error after suspend” and likewise.  The links in the references were ones that shoved me toward a better understanding of the issue and finally a fix on TLP’s github issue tracker.

The solution is quite simple.  You need to comment out 1 line in /usr/sbin/tlp.

# set_sata_link_power $1